Saturday, July 08, 2006

I Am Singaporean

This is inspired by the "I Am Singaporean" project by Mr Brown (http://mrbrown.com) and Mr Miyagi (http://miyagi.sg).

My name is kuey, because that's a play on my name, and also because I like eating kueys.

When I was young, I loved eating the kau teng kuey, or the nine-layered kuey. I used to peel them off layer by layer when I eat them. Nowadays though, I just munch them up.

I lived in a one-bedroom apartment until I was 10. My dad got to sleep on the queen-size bed in the bedroom, while my mom, my gor and I slept in the living room. We had to lay our mattresses out every night and keep them every morning. I was very happy sleeping and rolling around on the floor then, and I don't understand why now, I need a queen-size bed all to myself.

I am the son of a once odd-job worker turned full-time taxi-driver, and a housewife turned housewife cum factory-worker. We were very poor but I was happy. I sometimes wish though that my mom didn't have to abort my younger sibling. I know it still hurts her sometimes.

And ma, even though I'm not home very often, and even though we don't talk very much, I will be eternally grateful for the sacrifices you have made. Even though you infuriate me sometimes, I will never forget that you gave up your life so that I can have mine.

I know you don't approve of my dear even though you haven't met him. Even though he infuriates me sometimes, too, I love him very much. And I know he loves me very much, too. We have been together more than a year, and we still have a long way more to go.

I am more than 30 years old already, and I still haven't voted. I am disappointed that the Parliament is closed till November, and I am wondering why we are paying the MP I didn't choose to take a 8 month holiday.

Actually, I'm forgetting whom my MP is.

My name is kuey. I have a blog and I am anonymous, because my career would suffer if I am not.

I am Singaporean. Although I can choose to live anywhere else, I don't. This is where I grew up, this is where my parents will live the rest of their lives, this is where my friends are, and this is where I want to spend my life with my dear.

For better or worse, this is my home.