Thursday, July 20, 2006

(Another) Reason Why We Shouldn't Have Religion...

Yes, many would accuse me of being ungodly with such a statement. And I hope I don't get hit with the Sedition Act, but sometimes, events around me just make me question, objectively, whether religion has benefited the world at large or not.

I mean, I have great respect for many religious individuals, and the individual good that they do can indeed be very inspiring, and sometimes nationally, as evidenced by people like Mother Theresa.

Yet, organised religion seems to overwhelm and negate all these individual good being done on a day by day basis.

What sparked off this chain of thought? Well, as of now, Israel has just murdered 352 people in Lebanon, most of them innocent civilians. Israel has declared an all out war against Lebanon, firing missiles indiscriminately into civilian areas, and last I've heard, have started invading the country.

And what does the rest of the world do? Discuss what sanctions to impose on North Korea for firing a few dud missiles into the sea.

Might I add that this is led by the US.

I can't help but ask myself what would it be like with organised religion. Israel wouldn't have gotten the strong support of the US, through aid and other support, with the strong support of the Christian Right group there. Actually, without religion, Jews would have been absorbed into the surrounding people thousands of years ago after their kingdom fell. Genetically, Jews have largely been indistinguishable from the community they live with, then with each other.

Many of you would say that it is not the fault of religion, that it is the result of politics. But would politics have the power to generate that kind of devastating power without religion?