Thursday, April 21, 2005

Virgin Territory

Well here I am. Yet another foray by yours truly into the untamed wilderness of the internet. Since the advent of the web, I've taken the occasional dips. Can still remember the first website that I did, which then languished in obscurity for eternity. Wonder if it's still floating in the internet limbo anywhere? Wonder if that would also be the route taken by this blog?

Of course, there are the somewhat more successful web presences on Fridae and sgboy, but admitably, those are for quite different purposes. :-)

One wonders though why this drivng need faced by millions(?) of us to stake a territory in the vast unknown of internet? Perhaps it is indeed the very last frontier for us, at least one in which the average Mr Couch Potato can still aspire to conquer his own territory, albeit a virtual one. Perhaps it is part of human nature to see what is over that next hill... And stake claim to it.

Or perhaps, it is a random and wild cry into the vastness of humanity to say "Hey! I'm here! I exist! I'm unique! I'm me!" 6 billion people. Can anyone actually twist your mind around that? I can't even imagine 600 people in my head. So perhaps this cry is futile indeed. Yes, you are here but so what? Who cares? 1/6,000,000,000 is a very small number. Most people would simply round off that error. To round off you. And me.

So then why am I here? Despite everything, well, all of the above reasons I guess. I am human after all. The rationale mind can boom and thunder with its chains of logic, but we are fallible. And thus human. It's nice to know that when things get to me, there might be someone out there, a 1/6,000,000,000 that might stumble across this, read and maybe for a second or two, empathise before moving on. Other than myself, that is.

Welcome me.

No comments: